Sherlock

Tuesday, January 13, 2015

sherlock benedict cumberbatch coat
Probably every Sherlock fan has heard about Sherlock Holmes: The Man Who Never Lived and Will Never Die exhibition held at Museum of London.  When I was in London for my birthday, I just had to go and see it, I was rather excited about it.  

The museum was a bit out of our way, but I was determined to go there. I will be honest, I  haven't even heard about this museum before this but it wasn't difficult to find. It wasn't very busy so we didn't have to queue to buy tickets or to enter the exhibition.

The entrance to the exhibition is through a hidden bookcase door, quite interesting choice, though we almost went in through the exit...

There are very interesting artifacts, including Benedict Cumberbatch's coat he wore in BBC Sherlock adaptation. However, msot other artifacts were related to Victorian London and there wasn't that much on modern adaptations besides the clips  shown on the screens throughout. 

The exhibition emphasizes that the vast majority of Sherlock Holmes stories were set in  London – and a very large section of the exhibition is devoted to exploring the Victorian London. This was my least favourite part of it, I felt  it often failed to make a strong connection with Sherlock Holmes. I think it would have been much better if they had recreated a street of Victorian London, maybe with special effects, just something more than displays of pictures and art work which got very tedious very soon.

You exit the exhibition walking through a dark room fit with a wall-sized screen showing the Reichenbach Falls, with a voice over of Sherlock Holmes reading a snippet from one of Doyle’s stories regarding the Falls over the sound of the waterfall. It didn't have a big impact as I'd hoped, some of it was due to the screens not working!


Overall, I feel it was not a good value for money, there was a potential,but it failed to use creative ways to engage visitors. There was too much focus on London & they struggled to link it to Sherlock Holmes. What was really missing from it was activities or learning stations that require participation instead of focusing on displays. I'm left yearning for another exhibition that would do Sherlock Holmes justice.


Adult tickets are £12 (£10.90 without donation), the rest of the museum is free.


We also went to North Gower street, pretend Baker Street. 
baker street north gower

speedys sherlock


We were planning to grab a snack at Speedy's but it was completely full and I didn't fancy eating outside in sub-zero temperatures. 

I would love to do a full Sherlock tour one day, maybe in summer time. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments