500 days of Summer

Monday, January 09, 2012






500 days of Summer  was very enjoyable. Starring Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Zooey Deschanel.   Yes, it is a rom-com, but it is a good rom-com. I was mesmerised instantly with this introduction: 

This is a story of boy meets girl. The boy, Tom Hansen of Margate, New Jersey, grew up believing that he'd never truly be happy until the day he met the one. This belief stemmed from early exposure to sad British pop music and a total mis-reading of the movie 'The Graduate'. The girl, Summer Finn of Shinnecock, Michigan, did not share this belief. Since the disintegration of her parent's marriage she'd only love two things. The first was her long dark hair. The second was how easily she could cut it off and not feel a thing. Tom meets Summer on January 8th. He knows almost immediately she is who he has been searching for. This is a story of boy meets girl, but you should know upfront, this is not a love story. 

Loved the narrator's voice, although it did sound as if he was trying to be Morgan Freeman. But that's OK. Also, good soundtrack. Anyway, I'm definitely putting it in my fav films list.

Tom: It's official. I'm in love with Summer.   I love her smile. I love her hair. I love her knees. I love how she licks her lips before she talks. I love her heart-shaped birthmark on her neck. I love it when she sleeps.  [She’s Like The Wind by Patrick Swayze plays.] I love how I hear this song and every time I think of her. I love how she makes me feel. Like anything’s possible. Like, I don’t know… Like life is worth it.

Later in the film:

Tom:I hate her crooked teeth. I hate her 1960s haircut. I hate her knobby knees. I hate her cockroach-shaped splotch on her neck. I hate the way she smacks her lips before she talks. I hate the way she sounds when she laughs. 

[Fade to black as Swayze's "She's Like the Wind" plays briefly

Tom: I HATE THIS SONG! 


 



You Might Also Like

0 comments